You need Vehicle testing and inspection if
If you buy a brand new car
Or you need a renewal
Or re-registration of a second hand car
You will have several questions!
Here is the Vehicle Inspection Guide for Dubai
What is vehicle testing and why is it done in Dubai ?
Vehicle inspection is a procedure mandated by national or sub-national governments in many countries, in which a vehicle is inspected to ensure that it conforms to regulations governing safety, emissions, or both. Inspection can be required at various times, e.g., periodically or on the transfer of title.
According to the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) Vehicle tests in Dubai are required by law. Each car must undergo tests at their legally mandated frequencies to ensure that each one is always road-worthy. The RTA’s efforts and VTCs (Vehicle Testing Centers) work hard towards Dubai’s vision of ‘safer vehicles’
What are the types of Vehicles?
There are two types of vehicles – Heavy and light
- Heavy Vehicles– Truck, lorries and other commercial , bulk tourist vehicles
- Light Vehicles– Personal / Private cars, bikes
What are the different types of tests and their applicability as per the law
There are different types of tests, based on nature of situation, vehicle and types of vehicles
Major types of tests are-
The defect test refers to the event where the vehicle is taken to the Vehicle Testing Partners’ site for tests following a roadside inspection or a remote detection of defect(s).
An export test is required when any light or heavy vehicle will be exported outside of Dubai. This involves capturing of vehicle identification data such as chassis and engine details.
NEW VEHICLE REGISTRATION TEST
The new vehicle registration test refers to the test required prior to registration of a vehicle purchased from outside an authorised vehicle agency in UAE. This test is also required when transferring vehicle ownership or when re‐registering a vehicle.
PERIODIC VEHICLE TEST
The periodic vehicle test refers to the periodic testing of vehicle safety, roadworthiness aspects and exhaust emissions applicable to most vehicles. This test is required to renew the vehicle registration.
Timelines for Periodic tests
- Light, private vehicles should have a vehicle test after 3 years since being purchased brand new, and then every year following
- Light, commercial vehicles (e.g. taxis) should have a vehicle test every year from the date of being purchased/ownership transfer
- Heavy vehicles should have a vehicle test every year from the date of purchase/ownership transfer
The re‐test refers to the test performed upon failure of any of the above within 30 days of failed first test
What is the time taken for tests and subsequent servicing of vehicle?
|Type||Heavy vehicle||Light Vehicle|
|Inspection||15 minutes||20 minutes|
|Servicing||20-30 mins||30-45 mins|
Where are the vehicle test centres in Dubai?
There are multiple Vehicle Testing Centers across the emirate that you may visit when registering your vehicle. The VTCs across Dubai are launched and run by the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) in the emirate, and each offers different services related to vehicle inspections.
For the list of Vehicle testing centres, please refer this link. Click here
What documents do you need to carry for testing?
- Current vehicle Registration Card
- Vehicle insurance policy
- Emirates ID card
- Vehicle test card (In case of a new vehicle’s first time registration, along with your commercial license)
What are the timelines for registration renewal?
The Vehicle registration renewal can be done anytime between 6 months before expiry of registration to 1 month following the expiry to avoid penalties
What is the cost involved in testing?
The prices for testing your car in Dubai are as follows, as per the RTA. All fees are in AED.
|Type||Light Vehicles||Heavy vehicles|
|First Re test||35||50|
What if vehicle fails the tests?
There is a 2-way mechanism to deal with:
- Re- test: If your car unfortunately fails the RTA’s vehicle testing in Dubai, you must repair any defects within 30 days of the test. Contact us to get a free tire inspection. During this time, only 1 re-test is allowed. If the re-test is then failed also, you must perform a fresh, new vehicle test and pay the additional costs.
- Grievance Filing in case of discrepancy with the result of Vehicle test / If you are unsatisfied with the vehicle test results, you may approach the RTA with your case through their call centre at 800 9090, or email the RTA directly. A dedicated RTA member will connect with you , verify the situation and resolve in 5 working days
What are the penalties for not having a vehicle certificate?
Road usage charge – you will be charged a fine by the RTA vehicle licensing department for each additional day the vehicle’s registration is not renewed
- No vehicle registration – you will not be able to renew your vehicle
- Fine from Dubai police, or other police services in your emirate, if a valid vehicle registration cannot be presented
- Renewal of commercial licence – fleet operators will not be able to renew their commercial licence if more than 10% of their fleet is not registered
It is a process with specified timelines, geographically spread multiple centres.
Don’t forget to keep a track of the validity and registration, inspection dates to avoid penalties!
A solely serving grievance cell helps resolving customer queries faster.
Testing / Inspection couldn’t be any smoother!
Be Safe and Be Registered!
After all, Happy Vehicle calls Happy Driving!